Monday, August 4, 2008

Chek Jawa Boardwalk (27 July 2008)

The Naked Hermit Crabs’ free Chek Jawa Boardwalk are proving to be such a hit! While I was initially slated to be a guide-in-training shadowing Marcus, I had to be a guide that day due to the good response from the public!

I took my usual route of going through the coastal forest, to the tower and back to the boardwalk and out to House No. 1. This was the first time that my group spotted the cotton stainer bugs on the sea hibiscus. The cover of the young bug looks like a face, while the older bugs have a clear white cross on their black wing covers. Cotton-stainer bugs are harmless insects that eat the seeds of the sea hibiscus.


After passing through the mangroves, we went up to the Jejawi tower where we admired the expansive view, and of course, posed for pictures!


From the boardwalk, we could see the Frog Island (Pulau Sekudu). These cute kids were doing their best to spot the frog rock!


I had to hurry off to catch the Asean + 3 Film Day 2 shorts with Hannah, so I left early. One more thing - when the ‘uncles’ say that it would be no problem walking from the wetlands to the jetty, you can trust him if you think a 45 minute walk is a piece of cake!

But what a good day I had guiding! Especially when I get an added bonus of being sustained with snacks by the kids throughout the tour! :)

No comments: